Cost is a Factor to Choose PLC or DCS
In the past it was fairly easy to determine whether a PLC or a DCS was right for an application but in recent years this has become more difficult. It is argued that more powerful PLC product coupled with the new software tools provide an integrated process control system rivaling a Distributed Control System (DCS) for process control applications.
The architecture of a PLC and DCS system look strikingly similar on a system layout drawing with the same basic components: field devices, input/output modules, controllers, and Human Machine Interface (HMI).
Today with open technologies, DCS system are competitively priced with PLCs, in fact, if you consider the cost of implementing the system and the cost of making changes to the system over time, in addition to the initial purchase price, the DCS can be much less expensive. The total project costs include the expenses required to build a working solution that accomplishes the long-term goal of effective process control.
One must consider maintenance and changes to accommodate growth over time. These total costs are lower than applying PLCs because the built-in functions and inherent integration available in a DCS enable implementation and maintenance of a more effective system with less labor.
Posted by Cartiman Iman
♥ Favorite Labels ♥
- ► 2015 (128)
- ► 2014 (15)
- ► 2012 (274)
- ► 2011 (825)
- OLE for Process Control Software for Automation Co...
- PLC Driver Software
- Process Control Security Requirements in SCADA Fie...
- Automatic Gates using PLC Mitsubishi
- Verification and Optimization of a PLC Control Sch...
- NSLS Control System Interface to PLC
- Development of PLC Based Controls at NSLS
- ABB Advant OCS – Advant Master DCS
- Controller System for Industrial Automation
- Honeywell Experion Process Knowledge System
- Main Feature of PLC
- Application Fields of PLC
- Application of PLC in Glass Industry
- Application PLC in Cement and Steel Industry
- Process Field Bus – Decentral Periphery (Profibus ...
- Technology Integration for Home Automation
- Information of Modbus RTU Developed by Modicon
- PLC Programming by Integrators
- SCADA Security for System Monitoring and Control C...
- SCADA Automation System Model
- GE Substation Automation Components
- The System Benefits of GE Substation Automation Sy...
- Improved Solution for Substation Automation with G...
- Standardization (SOP) in Automation
- The Substation Automation System
- DCS Solutions Represent of Intelligent Electronic ...
- Substation Control & Information Management System...
- PLC and DCS in PAC application
- Automatic Gates using PLC Keyence
- The Best Applications for PLCs in Process Plant
- The Benefit of DCS on Configuration
- Cost is a Factor to Choose PLC or DCS
- Checklist for Connected Operation with PLC
- ▼ August 2010 (33)