Difference between RTU and PLC
PLCs use what the industry calls Ladder Logic. PLCs scan their I/O by electrically reading each I/O point. This done quickly, but in a system with lots of I/O points it can take some times to completely scan all the points.
PLCs can be used as stand alone devices but they are difficult to configure. They are not usable as the master controller in a control system. If your system contains a lot off I/O must be monitored or controlled, then PLC is not the best choice. They are not appropriate for use as protocol converters or controlling other Intelligent Electronics Devices (IEDs).
RTUs (Remote Terminal Unit) actually have the intelligent needed to control a process or multiple processes without intervention from a more intelligent controller or master. The RTU is a fast and flexible solution to most control needs. It can be used as a slave and master simultaneously in a vertical deployed control system. It is also easy to use as a protocol or for controlling IEDs.
So the main difference of PLC and RTU in application is if you need a stand alone device that has power, a PLC might work for you. But it needs to prepare some program training. PLCs can be difficult to configure.
If you need an intelligent unit to control multiple processes without intervention from a controller or master, you need a Remote Terminal Unit (RTU).
Posted by Cartiman Iman
♥ Favorite Labels ♥
- ► 2015 (131)
- ► 2014 (15)
- ► 2012 (274)
- ► 2011 (825)
- Automating Manufacturing Systems with PLCs
- Application of Servo Motor
- Servo Wiring Diagram
- Programming Servo Motors
- The Configuration of DCS
- Internal Architecture of PLC
- Beginner's Guide to PLC Programming
- Traffic Light with PLC Program
- PLC Troubleshooting Guide
- The Systems Practice PLC
- Traffic Light PLC Program with PLC Omron
- PLC Programming Tips
- PLC Hardware Components
- Difference between RTU and PLC
- Difference between PLC and DCS
- Difference between PLC and SCADA
- Difference between SCADA and DCS
- OPC to Provide a Standard Infrastructure of Proces...
- Friendly Software for Beginner from Schneider PLC
- Basic Instructions of PLC Omron
- SCADA Controls the Complex Systems in Real Time
- PLC Programming for Industrial Automation
- Traffic Light PLC Program with PLC Mitsubishi
- Implementation SCADA in Industry and Infrastructur...
- PLC Based Industrial Automation
- Tutorial Ladder Diagram via State Diagram
- Learn PLC Programming
- Programming PLCs Using Rockwell Automation Control...
- PLC Simulator For Learn PLC Programming
- Simatic S5 PLC System Automation from Siemens
- Industrial Automation Using PLC
- PLC Automation Systems
- Traffic Light PLC Program with PLC Keyence
- Basics of PLC Programming
- History of Programmable Logic Controllers
- Fundamentals of Programmable logic Controllers
- Marking With Laser Engraving Machine And PLC
- Brief Information about PLC
- PLC Omron Programming for Marking with Laser Engra...
- ▼ March 2010 (39)