There is a significant difference between the philosophies of security of enterprise ICS and IT. The purpose of enterprise security is to protect ability of the facility to securely operate and safely, regardless of what may be fall.
Cyber refers to communication of electronic between individual and/or systems. This term applies to any electronic device with network or serial connections. The term cyber addresses all electronic impact on ICS operation including:
• Unintended consequences such as from worms or viruses.
• Targeted attacks.
• EMP (Electro magnetic Pulse).
• EMI (Electro Magnetic Interference).
The terms of ICS includes:
• ACS ( Automated Control Systems)
• DCS (Distributed Control Systems)
• PLC (Programmable Logic Controller)
• SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) systems
• Intelligent electronically operated field devices, such as controllers, valves, instrumentation.
• System of network computer.
The design and operation of IT systems and ICS are different. The IT designers are generally the skilled scientist in the IT world. They view the enemy of the IT system as an attacker and design in extensive security controls and checks. The ICS designers are generally the skilled engineers in the controlling of ICS. They view the enemy of the ICS is system failure not as an attacker.